An energy gel can be bought in any sports shop. However, they are not cheap and usually not very nice to eat. By making your own energy gel, you will create a tasty and cheap alternative that provides the energy you need within your carbohydrate reserves. A great idea all round! Make sure that you add sufficient water so that the gel comes out of the bottle easily.
The dates and the rice syrup contain a high level of carbohydrates (sugars) for energy. The coconut oil is a fat that is quickly converted into energy by the body. The chia seeds help you to stay hydrated.
- 2 large Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp rice syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp lemon or lime zest
- 1 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp cocoa nibs
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- Add all the ingredients to a measuring beaker and mix with a hand-blender.
- Add a little extra water if necessary.
- Fill the small bottles on your running belt or a water bottle with 25% gel
- Top up with water and shake so that it mixes well.