Taken up walking full of good intentions, but the novelty of pulling on your walking shoes is beginning to wear off? These tips will help you find enjoyment in this great sport.
- Walk the dog (even it belongs to the neighbours) every evening.
- Turn walking into a family activity or agree a time with your neighbours, friends or colleagues. Make sure you stick to a pace that is manageable for all.
- Outline a walking route to your favourite place, a city or an area you’ve always wanted to discover.
- Take part in organised walks or join a walking group. Walking with others is much more fun.
- Seek out attractive and varied routes.
- Combine with another hobby, e.g. photography, animal/plant watching.
- Take part in a walking tour every now and then.
- Change from pavements to rural pathways on a regular basis. Choose a flat or more hilly region every once in a while.
- Use a pedometer and keep track of your steps.